||Darren Lyons Group
||drummer, percussionist, composer, bandleader, producer
Darren leads both electric and acoustic jazz ensembles based in NYC.
“Darren Lyons Group” is an independent electric instrumental jazz based ensemble from NYC. The group originated in 1996 after submitting a track to the Independent Music World Series (IMWS) and being selected for the 96’ & 97’ compilation c.d.’s. DLG is going into it’s 20th year of performing (2012-2015) at various jazz festivals & clubs on bills with Herbie Hancock, Mike Stern, Eric Johnson, Bill Evans SoulGrass, Yellowjackets & John Scofield. The “Evil Genius” cd was produced by David Sancious (Sting, Peter Gabriel) which he and Manolo Badrena also perform on.
“Darren Lyons Trio” released it's first full length cd “Three Trio’s” in 2010-11 and was mixed by Joe Ferla which receives airplay on WBGO-88.3 and the exclusive “Darren Lyons” Pandora channel.
- DLG performs at the Blue Note 5 times 2012-2016 on bills w/Brecker Bros. Reunion band, Mike Stern/Eric Johnson, Bill Evans SoulGrass, Yellowjackets & John Scofield trio.
- DLG performs after party show for Herbie Hancock at Capitol Theatre/Garcia's, 05/2014
- "DL" interviewed for ASCAP playback online 8/2011
- "Three Trio's" &"Evil Genius" added to Pandora.com, Accuradio.com & iTunes 3/2010
- Darren Releases "Three Trio's"- mixed by Joe Ferla-Mastered by Mark Wilder
- Added to playlist and library of WBGO 88.3 FM (12/2010)
- Darren produced/performed Kramer Daniels 2nd CD "Sleepover", featuring the same lineup as "Digital Sushi" (06/2010)
- Darren produced Kramer Daniels CD 'Digital Sushi' featuring Dominic Miller, Tony Trischka, Jeff Andrews and Manolo Badrena. Mixed by Joe Ferla and mastered by Greg Calbi (09/09).
- Darren forms duo, "Armed and Dangerous", with Legendary musician Manolo Badrena (1/07).
- DLG music featured on the Guggenheim's new internet trade magazine (2/05).
- DLT performs at Jazz at Lincoln Center for Fortune Magazine's 50th, NYC 11/04
- DLG performs at first annual "jazz meets jam festival" at Knitting Factory, NYC 5/04
- Darren Lyons appears in "Modern Drummer" - MD Update (March 2003)
- DLG appears in ASCAP's magazine "PlayBack" (July 2001, May 2003 & November 2003)
- DLG performs at CMJ Music Marathon (October 2001 & 2000)
- DLG selected as finalist in the Independent Music Awards (September 2000)
- DLG selected to perform at the Bell Atlantic Jazz Festival, Knitting Factory (June 2000)
- DLG selected to perform at the "Live at 5" outdoor concert series, Stamford CT July 99 & 2000) sponsored by Budweiser, Snapple, 92 FOX FM.
- DLG recorded the theme and episode scoring for the "Buddy System", the first computer animated 3-D cartoon for HDTV (featured in "Animation Magazine" April 1999 & "DCC Magazine" May 1999)
- DLG performs theme music for "Monica", #1 children's cartoon in Brazil (July 1998)
- DLG selected to perform at JVC Jazz Festival, NYC (July 1998)
- DLG selected to perform at Texaco's "What Is Jazz" Festival '98 at The Knitting Factory (June 1998)
- Recorded drums on Pringles TV spot, 60 sec. (December 1997)
- Performed with rock group, The Devas, to 70,000 people at Woodstock '97 in Zary, Poland (August 1997)
- DLG-first music group to be featured on Bravo TV Network's website, www.bravotv.com (July 1997)
- Darren Lyons Group selected a second time for Disc Makers 1997 New York Independent Music World Series/ Compilation CD &
- Performance at Tramp's (June 1997)
- Recorded drums on all tracks for Randy Holden's (Blue Cheer) new CD (February 1997)
- Recorded one track for Vince Martell's (Vanilla Fudge) new CD (January 1997)
- DLG chosen for the Disc Makers compilation CD NY Heavy Hitters 1996
- Drums/Percussion on 3 Coca-Cola commercials for Saudi Arabian TV (October 1996)
- Percussionist on 12" by Urban Soul "Until We Meet Again" (Billboard Dance Charts #21 - March 1996)
- Clinics for "Kids on Drums" sponsored by Zildjian/Pearl (1996)
- Appeared in Downbeat magazine for artist profile (1990)
- Toured with jazz/fusion group, Kilimanjaro
- Started lessons at age 4
- Private training from Jim Carrucci, flutist in the Denver Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Studied privately with Peter Erskine Adam Nussbaum, Artt Frank, Jim Chapin, Elvin Jones, Mike DiPasqua, and Joe Custasis
- Performed and/or recorded with Dominic Miller (Sting), Jeff Andrews (Zawinul, Steps Ahead), Tony Trischka, Bill Ware (solo/ Steely Dan), Victor Bailey (Weather Report, Madonna), Birelli Lagrene (jazz guitarist), Percy Jones (Brand X, solo artist), Lee Shaw (Solo Artist), Muzz Skillings (Living Color), Vince Martell (Vanilla Fudge), Randy Holden (Blue Cheer), Manolo Badrena (Weather Report, Eyewitness, Ahmad Jamal), Adam Holzman(Miles Davis, Chaka Khan).
Modern Drum Shop and Gretsch acoustic drums, Zildjian cymbals, Korg Wavedrum, LP congas and exotic percussion